The Bluff, South Africa
D.O.B: 26 August 1985
Ricky was a dominant force throughout his junior career with countless accolades both locally and internationally including finishing runner up at the ISA World Surfing Games in 2002, assisting Team SA to the overall victory. He was the first South African in 27 years to win the Mr Price Pro in 2006(formerly Gunston 500) and qualified for the World Championship Tour(top elite 36 surfers in the world) in 2007. After more than a decade of traveling and competing and two tough years on the World Championship Tour, Ricky stepped away from competitive surfing. After settling back home on the Bluff and with Cave Rock basically on his door step, Ricky has remerged, surfing with his high performance effortless style, tucked away in the barrel or fins out above the lip, he still carries a rail game to match the best. Ricky has shifted his focus documenting his explorations and discovering new breaks instead of chasing the competitor life. Ricky who is not only an incredible athlete but also a tattoo artist as well as a Creative Director who won the 48hour Film Festival in Durban 2019.
Brief career highlights:
• 7 x South African Surfing Champion.
• First South African in 27 years to win the Mr Price Pro (formerly the Gunston 500).
• 3rd Overall World Qualify Series 2006.
• World Championship Tour(WCT) contender 2007 & 2008.
• Professional Free Surfer.
• Tattoo Artist.
• Content Creator – Director.
• Winner of the 48hour Film Festival 2019.